The first creation of blogging with my furry friends. We want you to know how much GOD loves you and how very special you are to HIM! We look foward to many days of blogging with you.
Andrea and "The Perdue Zoo"

Monday, May 18, 2009

Sitka Answers A Bloggy Question
















As I thought about what I would share with my human friends today, I couldn't get a question asked in a comment on one of my articles out of my mind. It went something like this:

How can animals be allowed into facilities where there are patients who are allergic to them?

This is an excellent question and I would like to answer based on my "furry" knowledge. Of course, I am only able to speak of my experience in the facilities Nanuq, Trouble, and I visit.

We are not allowed to enter a room where someone is allergic to animals. In fact, the door to those rooms are usually shut during our time in the facility. In other facilities we go to a conference type room and the patients are brought to us.

There are also other health precautions taken. We are groomed before our visits and Mom also brushes our teeth with doggie toothpaste. I have also witnessed staff wash a patients hands after our visit.

Every precaution is in place to do what is best for "all" the patients. I am sure there are times when it could be improved upon. In some cases, we are the only link to normalcy in a patients life. We are there to love and encourage each patient in need of our services.

Please feel free to leave any other questions you may have in the comment section on my blog. If I do not know the answer, I will ask Mom.

Woofs and Wags,

Sitka

5 comments:

Attic Clutter said...

HI Andrea

sitka(:) oh how touching ..
I loved reading about the teeth brushed, clean up , etc(:)
What a precious animal..
thanks dear on my blog come-back(:)
I enjoy it too..
big hugs, Patty

Leslie said...

Sitka, do you behave when your mom brushes your teeth? I would never sit for that! My mom has to depend on Greenies for me. And don't even get me started on having my nails trimmed!

My mom has to take the same type of precautions at her preschool when it comes to allergies...not only to pets but to peanuts!

Woofy Blessings, Otto

Five Moms & A Blog said...

I am allergic to dogs and have asthma, but I have a beagle and a poodle (I don't cuddle with the beagle, however).

My doctor said the theraputic value of having animals far outweighed in damage that may be done health-wise.

However, when my mom was in the care facility she has bad asthma and was having shortness of breath.

The facility has a cat and though it never jumped on my mom's bed, I am sure that her workers may have carried cat hair in on their bodies or something, and that can't be good.

I think visiting animals like yours is o.k., but i don't think one should be allowed to live there.

Five Moms & A Blog said...

oooops, sorry, forgot to say that this is Nan for the Five Moms!

Mary Moss said...

Interesting. I had never thought about allergies. Sounds like your mom and dad have everything under control:-)