The first creation of blogging with my furry friends. We want you to know how much GOD loves you and how very special you are to HIM! We look foward to many days of blogging with you.
Andrea and "The Perdue Zoo"

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Dog Therapy

Today, I am compelled to repost my first blogging article. Many of you did not follow me when I started blogging and do not know the story of how I became a therapy dog. I hope you enjoy today's article.
















Hi, my name is Kubuna's Dry Run Sitka, but my friends call me Sitka. My nick name at home is "Fuzzy," but don't tell anyone. I am an Alaskan Malamute, weighing 125 pounds. I was born in Blacksburg, Virginia, at Dry Run Kennel. One afternoon a nice lady and gentleman from Richmond, Virginia, came to visit my kennel. I noticed the lady sat quietly down across the way. As my kennel door swung open and my future Dad reached for me, I darted out, passed him and ran as fast as I could and jumped into my new Mom's arms. I stole her heart from that very moment and I knew she was not leaving without me.

Once my parents came home with me the fun began. I was so cute and adorable they took me everywhere. It wasn't long until they realized I am very sensitive. I love all people, especially children, handicapped, and those who are hurting and need a hug. After realizing I had a special gift, my parents began obedience training with me (Dog Lovers Obedience School, Richmond, Virginia) and continue to reinforce and train me daily. I am now a registered therapy dog (TDA, CGC). I also tell my Mom before she has an asthma attack. Because I can sense the change and notify my Mom, she has not had an asthmatic episode in 2 years.

I love visiting hospitals, nursing homes, and wherever GOD leads and my parents (Doug and Andrea Perdue) take me. I have been as far north as Seaford, Delaware, where I attended a friend's mother's funeral and as far south as Pensacola and Destin, Florida where I visited in the Naval Air Museum, spent time on the beach with kids, and laid under my parents table in the Hard Rock Cafe.

In January 2008, my parents rescued a 85 pound Samoyed. My new brother's name is Nanuq. My parents and I chose this name because he looks like a polar bear. Nanuq began training after his health issues were treated and is now a therapy dog, also. We eagerly await all the back scratches, belly rubs, and great big hugs!

Woofs and Wags,

Sitka

6 comments:

RCUBEs said...

Thanks for reposting. It's nice to know where you came from. How blessed you are and your parents to have been brought together by God's grace. What a special gift you have Sitka! Here are some pats on your back!

Kelly L said...

Great post and beautiful pup.

Love,
Kelly

Just Be Real said...

A delight to read your first blog. You have some cherished memories there. Blessings dear one and thank you for sharing!

Attic Clutter said...

Oh I love that fuzzy story Andrea(:) so moving ..bless you and your hubby..
Yes the Farah show is sad.. such a shame she is so young...
hope you have a wonderful weekend too (:)
hugs, Patty

Leslie said...

Thanks for re-posting this! How does Sitka alert you that you're going to have an asthma attack? Was he trained to do this?

Otto got to go visit his doggy cousin, Murphy, this weekend. Murphy makes Otto look like a good dog! It made me laugh that everyone was praising Otto for being such a good boy. I told them to come visit him in his own home so that they could see how he jumps on people when they first come through the door and how he barks a lot!

Doggy treats to you Sitka!

Mocha Momma said...

I loved the article written from Sitka's point of view.

I admire what you do, Sitka. Glad your mom & dad found you.
So glad that you help kids and old folks too. God bless you.
Nannette