The first creation of blogging with my furry friends. We want you to know how much GOD loves you and how very special you are to HIM! We look foward to many days of blogging with you.
Andrea and "The Perdue Zoo"

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Therapy and Alzheimer's Patients

My parents and I often visit a local nursing home's Alzheimer's unit with Therapy Dogs and Associates. Some of the patients are alert and respond in appropriate ways, but some of them have severe side affects from their disease. My favorite patient is an elderly man who is very vocal.

As our group enters the locked facility, we look like an organized train of fluffy creatures in all shapes and sizes. Our group leader announces our presence and begins the program. One by one each of my furry friends performs tricks and displays what they have learned in obedience school. It is our way of giving the residents a "dog show."

From the time we enter my friend will call out, "I want to see the BIG dog" until I reach his side. He is not interested in what our leader is saying or the other dogs. In his confused state he is very clear about what he wants: "I want to see the BIG dog!" He never remembers my name, however it is clear he remembers the love I share with him.

Encouragement comes in all shapes and sizes. God made each human and animal unique, giving us a special place for use in HIS world! God uses me to reach the gentleman who is otherwise lost in his disease and I am thankful for the opportunity.

More of my furry journey with God to come!

Woofs and Wags,

Sitka

1 comment:

Mary Moss said...

What a gift to that man and to the other patients as well.