The first creation of blogging with my furry friends. We want you to know how much GOD loves you and how very special you are to HIM! We look foward to many days of blogging with you.
Andrea and "The Perdue Zoo"

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Smiling Eyes

A few weeks ago Nanuq and I entered our favorite Psychiatric Hospital. We were asked to visit a different group of individuals. This group of people are lower functioning and in the midst of their disease processes.

As we traveled down the hallway to our destination we passed a lady speaking ugly words. Mom told me to "heel" and we continued to walk. We then entered the room that would be our destination of service for the next hour. After entering, Mom and Dad realized they needed to simply stand back with us and wait.

As the minutes passed the people became calmer and calmer. Soon Nanuq and I were being petted by each of the humans who once seemed upset and stressed. Each of the patients were gentle with us; they petted with such ease.

Midway through our visit one of the staff members asked Mom if she would take me to a special room. Mom and I left and crossed the hallway stepping inside the doorway of an empty room to find our patient curled in a fetal position in the far corner. This special room is used to keep patients safe when they become uncontrollable. The staff member introduced us to the lady and she lifted her head and smiled with her beautiful dark eyes. Neither Mom or I will ever forget her beautiful eyes.

At the close of our visit on this day the staff thanked us over and over again. Monumental progress was made on this day and I am thankful Nanuq and I can make a difference in the lives of humans who are critically ill. Mental illness is a disease and it plagues many people. Thank GOD our parents are not afraid to allow us to be used in this and many other facilities.

Woofs and Wags,
Sitka

2 comments:

Mary Moss said...

I thank God for your ministry and courage to obey God's call:-)

Barbara Techel said...

Your friend, Mary told me about your blog. I love knowing other therapy dog mom's! I am one too with my little special needs dog. Frankie became paralyzed Easter Sunday 2006. At first it was very difficult, but just like you, I realized God was sending me a message. I truly believe this is my call while here on earth.
Therapy dog work is so rewarding. I enjoy it so much. And Frankie always amazes me and how she connects with people. I'm sure you know the feeling. I look forward to reading more about your therapy dog work.
Barbara
Author & mom of Frankie, the Walk 'N Roll Dog
www.joyfulpaws.com