The first creation of blogging with my furry friends. We want you to know how much GOD loves you and how very special you are to HIM! We look foward to many days of blogging with you.
Andrea and "The Perdue Zoo"

Sunday, December 14, 2008

"Overcoming Fear"

In September 2007, I spent two days in Blackstone, Virginia. I was invited to be a part of The Blackstone Arts and Crafts Festival for petting and to bring awareness to "Dog Therapy." Upon arriving, my parents and I found our place in the children's area between the baby chicks and the alpacas.

Many humans of all ages, sizes, and conditions came by to see me. Some folks told my parents they had seen an article in the local news paper (Courier Record) about me and came just to see me. Each human I met was unique and special. However, one precious little boy will always have a special place in our hearts; his name is Josh.

Our day was over and Mom began to walk me while Dad loaded our SUV. During my walk Josh ran up to me and I quickly put myself in what my parents call "gentle down." Mom dropped to her knees as she often does when a small child wants to pet me.

As Josh began hugging and laying on me, Mom noticed scars around his mouth and face. Josh's mom watched him carefully as her eyes filled with tears. She began telling my parents about his injuries.

We learned Josh had been attacked by a dog and flown via helicopter to MCV. During Josh's recovery he received over 300 stitches and multiple cosmetic surgeries to repair his mouth and face. His mom said, "after the attack Josh has been terrified of dogs and would scream when he saw them."

Josh and I became friends. God used me to allow him to realize not all dogs are bad. At one point during our visit Josh actually laid backwards across my neck resting his head and neck on mine. God gave Josh the ability to trust again using an unusual source.

God often uses unusual or unique vessels as His source of healing in our lives. I am thankful once again He chose me, furry ole Sitka to be a living vessel for His love.

Woofs and Wags,
Sitka

1 comment:

Mary Moss said...

This post brought tears to my eyes! God is so amazing to use ALL of His creatures to minister to His world.